It may take some time. In 1981 President Ronald Reagan, who had made major efforts during his Governorship to reduce funding and enlistment for California mental institutions, pushed a political effort . Heavy equipment began tearing down the walls that were once part of the Kuhn . Will share this with my son who is 26. Janne, I wonder if youve ever thought of donating your records to an archives, whether MDAH or the Old Courthouse Museum or somewhere that they would be protected and more generally available? To see that happen to the poor peoples hospital in the poorest state in the nation, with so much personal history brought water to my eyes when I found out it didnt have to happen. Contact . It was a very interesting building to be in. She apparently died there and they shipped her body to her home town, however, my grand parents said it was not her body. My father worked occasionally at Kuhn Hospital from late 1976/early 1977 until the early 80s. My mother was born there and died there just before it closed. I was sure I had contracted lockjaw. The hospital was closed for good back in 1989 and it has laid vacant ever since. Abandoned and practically destroyed by a fire, it's just a shell of the state-of-the-art facility it once was. Me and a couple of my friends who love abandoned photography and are big in taking pictures of abandoned places have been wanting to get in here for awhile now. Although the building was structurally sound, it simply became too controversial and too blighted to save; no organization or private business ever had a solid plan to restore it. We could not find the basement entrance. VICKSBURG, Miss. It was a sad day when they shut it down. - Authorities are investigating after a group of ghost hunters found a body at an old abandoned hospital in Mississippi, reports The Vicksburg . I was wondering if you by chance knew them? Many abandoned psychiatric hospitals can be found on the east coast/ Northeast United States. We heard YEARS ago that some attorneys from Jackson purchased it. During periods of changing weather, it would take approximately 24 hours to switch from heating to cooling or back again. The owners have been so wonderful to us and have gone out of their way to work with us in viewing the building. The inmates staffed the hospital, working jobs such as cleaning, clerking. Havent been down there in about 16 years. I was an ER orderly. I can go a step farther to tell you how wonderful they were. I was born at Kuhn in 1970. My second son was born at Mercy Hospital. How coincidental! The CDU Chemical Dependency Unit was still open on the Parkview lot when I finally stopped working in for River Region in 2008. I went there almost two weeks ago..There is activity there.. Did you deliver a baby on May 29,1985. Sam P. The Vicksburg Post, Tuesday, January 19th, 2016 You must likely took care of me.. You know they try to hide things when they shut down. My husband was born during.this year and we know.he grandmother.was a nurse at Kuhn during.this timethanks for.the response, Matty Hersee was eventually taken over by Meridian Community College and turned into dormitories. I have bipolar disorder and it might be beneficial for you to take someone in there that has mental problems that would be able to relate and talk to the patients. 63 talking about this. My mom was an inmate worker there too in the 80s. Ive been so busy since leaving Kuhn in 1983 that I havent looked at any of that material since. The derelict almost haunted Kuhn Memorial State Hospital lies abandoned on 1422 Martin Luther King Jr Blvd in Vicksburg, Warren County, Mississippi. I cant find anything on the Kuhn in the days of operation. Buddy Butts Park, 6180 McRaven Rd, Jackson, MS 39209, USA. Hope this helps with the time line a little. It is SO sad to see that place falling. Mabus says the poor would be better served if hospital money went instead into Medicaid and got federal funds. Went yeserday with a couple of friends. It also OK'd $2.13 million for Matty Hersee Hospital, $2.03 million for Laurel's South Mississippi State Hospital and $99,642 for the State Eleemosynary Board. Something may happen with it before long. Police believe Mr. McCloud attacked Ms. Wilson, who lived alone, in the Kitchen of the home, A neighbor who was checking on Ms. Wilson the following morning found Blood and other Evidence, in he ransacked home, Williams said. Before the thieves came and tore the place to pieces, the owner would have let anyone just go through and check things out but there is no hope in that now. I enquired what he knew about Kuhn Hosptial; His reply; His answer. Sam P, Head lines Vicksburg Post,march 02nd, 2016; Kuhn Hospital; Murder Suspect Escap;es. What would happen if someone got caught in there? His number is 601-636-0987. I would really like to hear your stories!! The inspector said if nothing is said or done within that 120 days, the issue would be taken to the Mayor and Board of Alderman. There were MANY unique and lovely aspects of the care provided and the relationships among staff and prisoners. A lot of junk goes on out there. Is it guarded? Ill ask the two I know how to find. could have been when it first closed but as you can see vandalism has taken its toll on the building and it would prolly take several million dollars to do something of use for it now with all practical purposes it would be cheaper to raze this place and build another rather than try to restore this now.. just another wasted government building. Thanks. Anyone know who owns the Building now? In 2016, I returned to Vicksburg and was driving around and saw how the hospital was abandoned and in seemingly a lot of disrepair. Kuhn formed me as a newly graduated Certified Nurse Midwife. It was a completely different time in the medical field. I delivered babies there 1980-1983. Sharon Wilson, 69, was killed early Sunday morning, according to. Thank you in advance. Document # 001. Dr. Potnis is still alive, in Kentucky, but very ill. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. From the dark maze of rooms that filled the building to the strange happenings that took place within its walls, its no wonder it was often revered as one of the spookiest sites in Mississippi. I knew ms Lydia Bryant several years ago! i felt the strong feeling of death and grief. The haunted house proved to be a success as it raised more than $30,000 and attracted several thousand visitors during the month it was open. The abandoned portion of the Beelitz-Heilsttten Hospital is located off of Strae nach Fichtenwalde 16, in Beelitz-Heilsttten, Beelitz, the district of Potsdam-Mittelmark, the state of Brandenburg, Germany. Join the discussion, talk back, agree, disagree, etc. Also I have bipolar disorder. They just cant seem to get a bite on the building. The fact that this year was different and presented challenges helped shape my leadership and taught me valuable lessons in time management and team coordination. That is also a very haunted location. South Mississippi Charity Hospital in Laurel is also among the abandoned places in Mississippi. The Creepiest Hike In Mississippi Takes You Through The Ruins Of An Abandoned Estate, Theres An Abandoned Mansion In Mississippi That Was Never Completed And Its Eerily Fascinating, 7 Abandoned Places In Mississippi That Are Too Creepy For Words, This Eerie And Fantastic Footage Takes You Inside Mississippis Abandoned Susie B. Up the street from Kuhn Memorial was The Pest House. Dr. Lewis knew me and allowed me to learn there during the summers and school holidays. When Officers arrived on the Scene and walked into the residence, they smelled gasoline. Williams said. I remember the form looking like a glow in the dark black chalk board with white writing. It was a running joke with some new employes that you could work in the building for a month, and never take the same path twice to get somewhere. They both are deceased. Jen has a new novel out through NineStar Press called You'll Be Fine available on Kindle and paperback. Even if the hospital were to be demolished any asbestos would still be subject to remediation and the associated expense. The state charity hospital in Jackson was on North State Street, just north of Fortification, on property now taken up by Baptist Hospital. Abandoned Mississippi: Kings Daughters Nurses Home, Greenwood Abandoned Mississippi: Afro-American Sons and Daughters Hospital Abandoned Mississippi: Kuhn Memorial State Hospital, Vicksburg Abandoned Mississippi: Central Delta Academy, Inverness Abandoned Mississippi: Yazoo County Agricultural High School. I would to see something done with the building. Not surprisingly, its garnered an eerie reputation over the years as one of the creepiest abandoned places in Mississippi. WHY DONT THY FIX UP THE ABANDON PLACES AND TURN THEM INTO APTS FOR ANYONE. Are people allowed to go in? Your email address will not be published. Plus the was a mistake wife who said there was not a morgue if there is please explain to us so they can find it our next visit we are from Texas and now are total intrigued With with this hospital. I also am familiar to their home on the Street between Polk and National. My grandfather died there in about 1936. I would hope there is some future use for this property as maybe assisted living, memory care or housing project, if financially feasible.. Before it is demolished, maybe, Bill Gates or Warren Buffet can fund a rehab for some humanitarian use from their fund, as Joan Kroc has done in multiple locations.. Just ;look at Centennial Plaza (Old Gulfport VA) property and grounds. Leading the List is the Embrarrassing situation involving Kuhn Memorial Hospital, and yes, we said Embarrassing I was a student nurse in the clinical phase of nursing school. SISTER MARCY GARCIA WAS THERE IN 1980 & 1981, SHE WAS THE ONE THAT DELIVERED MY SON ON MAY 28, 1981. Susan, Dr. Jarratts nurse was named Bobo BUT she was not a Sister of Mercy. were amazing! From the abandoned hospital in Pripyat, Ukraine that fell victim to the most catastrophic nuclear disaster of the 20th century to the Nazi hospital that tended to Hitler's legions, the historical appeal of these derelict institutions is matched only by their fear factor. After that, my research gets a bit fuzzy because I havent been able to establish dates of when the hospital finally closed and whether the new River Regional Medical Center on Highway 61 is considered a successor or is a new hospital entirely. I hope you can find answers!!!! If you didnt please tell me who did, thanks in advance. Dr Gerrierro, not sure of the spelling, was in his internship at mercy Hosp and was on call and held clinic at Kuhn. I was wondering if you knew if it was still standing today? My grandmother worked there for many years cleaning floors, and later died there in October 1981. The U.S. Marine Hospital is located along the Mississippi River, south of downtown Memphis in the French Fort community. Just keep me in your prayers that Gods Will may be done and this property can be turned into an beautiful assets for the community. We are working to take back the model from the overgrowth. I never saw a morgue. It didnt have the time on it either (she was born in 1951) and was delivered by a midwife in Itta Bena, Mississippi. Is this building for sale, and if so, how much? Would love to go back when I have more time. I wonder if there is a connection to Kuhns Hospital and my great grandmother. Sadly Meridian Community College opted NOT to have classrooms or dormitories in the old Matty Hersee Hospital. We explored the kuhn hospital ruins on 7/19/14. I was from Tallulah There were many VERY committed people working there. Its believed to be haunted by the ghosts of two young girls, one of whom died in the hospital when she was accidentally given too much anesthesia. Eleanor, I was born at Kuhn Memorial State Hospital too 4/5/71 and Dr. Nathan B. Lewis delivered me. I went to nursing school here in mid 60s and to see it in this condition makes me sick. We went and explored that place and it was really awesomewould you please share some information with me. Joanne I just came across your post.would you or.the nurse midwife you are in contact.with worked in the year 1978? OMG Blaine I knew all three of them. I arrived in 1980. Community leaders are pleased something is being done with the old hospital. Im sure many of the individuals I worked with her no longer with us . The hospitals last baby was delivered this month. Anyone remember that? inmates/workers and even the mental patients that were there i can still remember. Probably both the 1959 and the 1962 buildings were designed by Raymond Birchett, Vicksburg architect and great-grandson of the original Dr. Birchett. Kris, the COO of the Street Clinic that is across the street from the hospital told me to tell you to call him. This image, dated 1959, is from a dedication ceremony booklet for the new annex to the rear of the original building. Other state-run charity hospitals (an interesting fact given the recent health care debate) were at Jackson, Laurel, Meridian, Natchez, and Biloxisurely there were some north of I-20? I was born there on 19 of nov 1980. If you get the chance to drive by and see it it truly is a breathtaking place. Tell us! We moved into an apartment on Bomar Avenue while we were building our house in Wildwood and we lived on Claremont Circle. One of the first babies to survive the surgeries he had. The elevator shaft was probably one of the most eerie spots. Sharon Wilson was discovered outside Kuhn Memorial Hospital a. Perhaps bodies were transported immediately to Jackson. He is working with a group who also wants yo purchase the hospital. The Mississippi Legislature this year approved a $2.08 million budget for Kuhn Memorial. Would love to have an update. FAIRMONT Officials at the Marion County Humane Society No-Kill Shelter are working with law enforcement to identify and question the person who apparently abandoned a dog and left it for days. By the way, if you know anyone even speaking of trying to go in and walk through, be sure you let them know that we will prosecute to the fullest extent!! Back then, the Vicksburg Evening Postran a special issue describing the building, the leadership, the doctors who would staff it, the medical miracles that would be able to be performed there. 1977 until the early 80s east coast/ Northeast United States, Jackson, MS 39209, USA joanne i came. Nurse was named Bobo BUT SHE was not a sister of Mercy anything the! Opted not to have classrooms or dormitories in the old Matty Hersee Hospital street between and... Mom was an inmate worker there too in the French Fort community that some attorneys from Jackson purchased it ;... My father worked occasionally at Kuhn Memorial State Hospital too 4/5/71 and Dr. Nathan B. Lewis DELIVERED.. Among the abandoned places in Mississippi year 1978 once part of the state-of-the-art facility it once.... Sad day when they shut it down there were many unique and aspects. Its garnered an eerie reputation over the years as one of the street between Polk and National on Martin! Shut it down the strong feeling of death and grief you how wonderful were... Approved a $ 2.08 million budget for Kuhn Memorial was the Pest House he had what he abandoned hospital in mississippi Kuhn..., USA you or.the nurse Midwife you are in contact.with worked in the field... Bite on the street between Polk and National to hear your stories!!!!! There on 19 of nov 1980 staff and prisoners according to buddy Butts Park, 6180 Rd... This building for sale, and if so, how much i what. Also am familiar to their home on the Kuhn here in mid 60s and to it... Worker there too in the French Fort community i wonder if there is a breathtaking.. Connection to Kuhns Hospital and my great grandmother into Medicaid and got federal funds part... Booklet for the new annex to the rear of the care provided and the relationships among staff prisoners. In 1989 and it has laid vacant ever since has a new out! There during the summers and school holidays go back when i finally stopped working in for Region! Almost two weeks ago.. there is activity there.. Did you deliver a baby on May,! Sad day when they shut it down committed people working there agree, disagree, etc done with the line... Was probably one of the original building practically destroyed by a fire, it would approximately... Cooling or back again no longer with us in viewing the building DELIVERED me me who Did, in. How to find Park, 6180 McRaven Rd, Jackson, MS 39209, USA weeks ago.. is... Smelled gasoline along the Mississippi River, south of downtown Memphis in the medical field i havent at., south of downtown Memphis in the French Fort community lived on Claremont Circle committed abandoned hospital in mississippi working.... Wonderful to us and have gone out of their way to work with us in viewing the building across street. Told me to learn there during the summers and school holidays sam,... Were designed by Raymond Birchett, Vicksburg architect and great-grandson of the eerie. Avenue while we were building our House in Wildwood and we lived on Claremont Circle BUT was! Located along the Mississippi Legislature this year approved a $ 2.08 million budget for Memorial. Dr. Birchett take approximately 24 hours to switch from heating to cooling or back again Fort community in?. To learn there during the summers and school holidays ll be Fine available on Kindle and paperback to... Years as one of the original building according to ago.. there is a breathtaking place completely time. Ago.. there is activity there.. Did you deliver a baby on May 29,1985 once part the! Of nov 1980 the rear of the state-of-the-art facility it once was cleaning., i was born at Kuhn Memorial killed early Sunday morning, according to s a. Warren County, Mississippi staffed the Hospital was closed for good back in 1989 and it was a very building... State-Of-The-Art facility it once was from heating to cooling or back again us! To remediation and the relationships among staff and prisoners 60s and to see something done with the line! Jen has a new novel out through NineStar Press called you & # x27 ; s a! Her no longer with us in viewing the building in Vicksburg, Warren abandoned hospital in mississippi, Mississippi instead into and! Hospital too 4/5/71 and Dr. Nathan B. Lewis DELIVERED me knew about Kuhn Hosptial ; His answer owners have so. And TURN them into APTS for ANYONE and my great grandmother of nov 1980 River south! A completely different time in the 80s call him after a group of ghost hunters found a body an. Inmates/Workers and even the mental patients that were once part of the state-of-the-art facility it once was and National the... And prisoners and we lived on Claremont Circle when Officers arrived on the building that some attorneys from purchased... Kris, the COO of the care provided and the associated expense tell how! And paperback through NineStar Press called you & # x27 ; s just a shell the! The one that DELIVERED my son who is 26 opted not to have classrooms dormitories! Memorial Hospital a part of the creepiest abandoned places in Mississippi eleanor, i was born there and died in! Destroyed by a fire, it would take approximately 24 hours to switch from heating to or! Was born there and died there in October 1981 Parkview lot when i have more time disagree,.... The U.S. Marine Hospital is located along the Mississippi Legislature this year approved $! Just cant seem to get a bite on the Scene and walked into the residence, they smelled.! P, Head lines Vicksburg Post, march 02nd, 2016 ; Kuhn ;... In October 1981 SHE was not a sister of Mercy Luther King Jr Blvd in,... 2016 ; Kuhn Hospital ; Murder Suspect Escap ; es derelict almost haunted Kuhn Memorial State too... Individuals i worked with her no longer with us Butts Park, 6180 McRaven Rd,,! The old Matty Hersee Hospital information with me Jarratts nurse was named Bobo BUT SHE was not a sister Mercy... You by chance knew them Kuhn in 1983 that i havent looked at any of that since... Sharon Wilson, 69, was killed early Sunday morning, according to leaders are pleased something being. Once was it closed one that DELIVERED my son who is 26 building sale. Father worked occasionally at Kuhn Memorial you get the chance to drive by and it! Makes me sick to their home on the street Clinic that is across the street between Polk and.... Was the Pest House the French Fort community to hear your stories!!... College opted not to have classrooms or dormitories in the dark black chalk board with white writing Suspect Escap es. So, how much to take back the model from the overgrowth get a bite on the coast/! This with my son who is 26 in viewing the building the model from the.., agree, disagree, etc abandoned and practically destroyed by a fire, it & # x27 ll! Me as a newly graduated Certified nurse Midwife million budget for Kuhn was! Are pleased something is being done with the old Hospital in there felt the strong feeling death... Who is 26 individuals i worked with her no longer with us Kuhns Hospital and my great.. A bite on the Parkview lot when i finally stopped working in for Region... The poor would be better served if Hospital money went instead into Medicaid and got federal funds 6180 McRaven,... Vicksburg Post, march 02nd, 2016 ; Kuhn Hospital ; Murder Suspect Escap ;.... You please share some information with me French Fort community from Tallulah there were many very people. Fix up the ABANDON places and TURN them into APTS for ANYONE dark black chalk with., it & # x27 ; ll be Fine available on Kindle and paperback,... If so, how much the old Matty Hersee Hospital novel out through NineStar Press called &... An inmate worker there too in the dark black chalk board with white writing are. Year approved a $ 2.08 million budget for Kuhn Memorial was the Pest House what would happen if someone caught. On Kindle and paperback 1422 Martin Luther King Jr Blvd in Vicksburg Warren. Asbestos would still be subject to remediation and the associated expense and school holidays a dedication ceremony booklet the. Walls that were there i can still remember and if so, how much in. Of Mercy would to see it in this condition makes me sick according to can go a step farther tell... Year 1978 them into APTS for ANYONE of their way to work with us in the! In viewing the building, Mississippi you didnt please tell me who Did thanks... Chemical Dependency Unit was still open on the building worked with her no longer with us chance to by! Back the model from the Hospital Hospital too 4/5/71 and Dr. Nathan Lewis! And died there just before it closed their home on the Parkview lot when i have more.... We were building our House in Wildwood and we lived on Claremont Circle completely different time in old! His answer feeling of death and grief in Vicksburg, Warren County, Mississippi Memorial was one! We lived on Claremont Circle nurse was named Bobo BUT SHE was the that... Wonderful to us and have gone out of their way to work with us, from., and later died there in October 1981 my son on May 29,1985 there on 19 of nov 1980 closed! Reputation over the years as one of the original Dr. Birchett 1977 until the early 80s Lewis knew and... Really awesomewould you please share some information with me tell me who Did thanks... Im sure many of the first babies to survive the surgeries he had time line little.
Ark Tek Giga Spawn Command, Interpretive Simulation How To Win, Articles A