I stand by the old rule of 1X per 100 yards for hunting rifles. How The Long Ranger Proves A Perfect Platform To Launch The 6.5 Creedmoor: Capable of shooting long-range cartridges, such as the 6.5 Creedmoor, since it feeds off a removable box magazine. Aesthetically, both rifles attempt to combine a modern appearance with a traditional styling. While the 50 grain V-Max bullets are said too leave the muzzle at around 3400 fps and average starting Muzzle Energy is 1284 ft lbs. I love the Long Ranger, but I would definitely recommend going into a store and holding them. Otherwise I really like it, my gunsmith is going to ream and polish it out for me. I really like the looks of the Henry, but I do not like a gun that I cannot completely take apart-easily. Hey Henry, how about a lever gun in .38-55 with a 26 barrel? My hunting partner commented on the glare to me. In fast action, the bolts about a thumbs width from my nose if I keep a good cheek-stock weld. Perhaps Sako should reintroduce the Finnwolf. I owned a Browning BLR in 308 Winchester. Most of the time, its an assignment, and its work. Every fall I sit on a couple of stands with my 1906 94 in .25-35, accepting that I cant start at dawn and must quit at sunset. Slim Fit Leather Jackets brings this iconic jacket from animation to reality, especially for all the fans of this video game. I have been trying to find the right one. Get Guns.com offers and news!! This has caused many people to believe this is simply the exact same cartridge called by 2 different names. If your resolution was dont buy any guns this yearway to set yourself up to fail. Savages Model 99 uses a rotary magazine, and later models a detachable box, in chamberings including .250 Savage. I tend to look at firearms as once-in-a-lifetime investments and save accordingly. Comments on this site are submitted by users and are not endorsed by nor do they reflect the views or opinions of COLE Publishing, Inc. I was expecting 1.5 to 2MOA. Unfortunately I havent been to the range with it yet either ( broken leg). Because of the transfer bar safety, the Long Ranger is safe to carry with the chamber loaded and the hammer down. I noticed other comments. Theres no wiggling or odd angles to get the magazine to sit or release. You can do it with the Midwest Industries Marlin MLOK handguard, one of the Henry X lever guns, a Henry Long Ranger, even a Mare's Leg though like the Tac-14 vs. a Remington 870 it's not going to be as effective as a Henry Big Boy X Model or Big Boy Steel Side Gate. Stay in the know. One round in the chamber and four in the mag of a quick shooting lever action rifle is serious medicine for any big game . It looks to be strongly inspired by the Browning BLR 81. https://www.henryrifles.com/rifles/the-long-ranger/ The Henry "Long Ranger" MSRP is $1014.95, the BLR Lightweight MSRP is $959.99. There are quite a few reviews and tests out there on the Long Ranger. To fire a shot, you just manually cock the hammer; there is no manual cross-bolt or sliding tang safety to forget or fumble. Its characters like you that put a feced stain on responsible gun owners. now the bad side (besides the farting girlfriend, even worse when she Dutch ovens you) on my second shoot I had a terrible time with rounds not seating on the bolt or chambering properly, sometimes locking the lever or not firing when triggered. The same finishing, with different applications. Deer season is coming soon, and I cant wait to get back into the woods with my lever actions. The Nylon 66, a relatively inexpensive rimfire with faux woodgrain, was the first successful synthetic-stock firearm. Try it. Sorry, this post was deleted by the person who originally posted it. Have had a few over the years including a Winchester in .25-35, awesome little gun! Down here in Georgia, hunting with freedom to choose your fire arm in relative freedom is a sacred thing. Henry rifles are great, everything about them is nicely done- except for the loading (but thats my own personal preference). I shoot a lot of guns for TTAG. I dont think "lever action" goes with "good trigger". Its a tack driver. Maybe they can figure out a new way to load the mag- like the mag is fixed in place and you have to take out the baseplate, spring and follower, then insert the rounds, then put those parts back on. Now to find a land owner that will allow me to hunt wild boar to start with, that would be the go for me to get into this. Thats the long and short of it; the best plan for success and one I rarely see followed. When Henry Repeating Arms revealedtheir box-fed lever-action Long Ranger series, I asked to test one in .308 Winchester. I wasnt kidding about buying it. More seriously, though, theres a real danger it would become hers in short order; shes a woodworker as well as a shooter. Wildcathunter # 14125410 09/14/19. the Long Ranger has a much slimmer profile. So they used familiar grips, slightly modified. Since I wrote this article I keep finding myself taking this gun hunting over many others. Additional classy touches include a fluted bolt left in the white, gold finished aluminum trigger, steel sling swivel studs and a solid black recoil pad. The Long Ranger safety is an automatic transfer bar mounted in the hammer face. Dont leave anything, especially guns to your kids! Right now, the lever-action is once again hot. This is because the BLR hammer is a two-piece design and the upper part, including the striking face of the hammer, rotates down to clear the firing pin if forced forward by a blow on the hammer. The Long Ranger was introduced in 2016 by Henry Repeating Arms. My old buddy Payton Miller is a fan of the .35 Remington, slow but hard-hitting. We think that the lever is truly Americas rifle, he adds. I have a 308 blr white gold that just does not want to group consistently, even after a trigger job, really has nothing to do with the trigger traveling with the lever. This one is different. They ask for it, so I oblige. I would like to see the Long Ranger offered in a pistol grip stock. Underwood Ammunition is always extremely well made, very powerful, effective, and second to none. Its nothing but a browning BLR with henry name. Scope Selection for Precision Rifles: 5 Questions to Ask Before Buying. What To Do When Your Rifle Breaks While On a Hunt, Venison Backstrap with Sweet & Spicy Peach Relish Recipe, The Only Three Guns You Need to Go Hunting, Tested Tough - Modern Zeiss Sports Optics. 1. Some claims of sub moa groups are out there but so bar Ive only seen proof of 1.5 at best. I also picked up a LongRanger .308 in January 2017, while it was on sale at Cabelas. I was hoping Henry would put on a Lyman peep or at least a Skinner and wrote them such when the Long Ranger first came out. They wont appreciate it the same as you did. There are more aggressive copper solvents which can speed up the process but some could be corrosive. However, the BLR hammer spur is about twice the width of the Long Ranger hammer spur (approx. If youre looking for a brush gun or intend to shoot 200 yards or less and want iron sights, Henrys similar lever-action in .30-30 Win. Sounds like you need to put some money aside in a savings account she doesnt know about, and send the statements to an email she doesnt know about. That light cleaning regimen stabilized accuracy and brought the average 100-yard group size down to 1.46 inches. The BLR is more standard shape and feel of the butt stock and foregrip. The best part: its not a bolt gun or an AR. Triggers are easier to tune on some actions vs others. After firing 210 rounds through the gun, into my second round of accuracy testing, the HPR 150gr TTSX BT cartridge was very tight in the chamber. This means the cartridge must be placed most of the way into the chamber with the muzzle depressed before the bolt can be closed; otherwise the cartridge will fall out through the magazine well. Both the Long Ranger and BLR use a rack-and-pinion gear system lever with rotating bolt head, but they are different. Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy. Without a round fired, I was impressed and intrigued. Barrel lengths are most often either 20- or 24-inches. Im sure if this rifle gets customer support, other options like pistol grips and additional calibers, like the 6.5 Creedmor and 338 Federal, which arent available in a BLR will come. I thought I was good with an AR10 and a bolt action. Usually, Im happy to turn a gun back into the office and get my next assignment. With a five-round detachable box magazine, the BLR made it safe and easy to chamber the rifles for pointed or tipped projectiles, opening the door to heavier magnum rounds, including some of the WSMs. Purchased both. A max load of RL19 and 150 Sierra MK bullets turned it into a tack driver. COPYRIGHT 2021, THETRUTHABOUTGUNS.COM. A notable difference is that the BLR's trigger is attached to and moves with the lever, like the long discontinued Winchester Model 88. Its safe to say that any hunter whos had the pleasure of harvesting game with an old 99 would love to see that design return to production. Some guns are fancy collector pieces, too nice or historically important to take afield with regularity. The BLR is supplied with a wide, gold finished, aluminum alloy trigger with a grooved face. I owned a Browning BLR in 308 Winchester. Beautifully made and very accurate, the BHA is a bear-proof guide gun. Its also among few lever actions Id consider fully adequate for African buffalo, provided you stoke it with proper bullets. My sons and my right handed friends can easily shoot it too. And I will have to get my son one as well as he has always admired my savage . I am a fan of the faster .358 Winchester. Several big game hunting rifles from major manufacturers, not just custom shops, come with MOA or sub-MOA accuracy guarantees. They are available with open iron sights. Across the country, many of us hunt thicker cover, where long-range shooting isnt necessary. I really like browning. The lever-action is Americas unique contribution to firearms design. Just throwing this out there because I e always wanted one since I watched The Rifleman with my Dad as a kid. The lever action is John Wayne, fast-firing Chuck Connors as The Rifleman, and even Teddy Roosevelt. It loaded and unloaded easily, and never gave me any issue locking into the rifle. I was tired of having to keep it out of the sunlight while hunting. However, its more expensive than the BLR (~$100+ more than my SS Lightweight) and its heavier. I hope they get around to a pistol grip sooner rather than later. I had a BLR in .243 that was as accurate as any bolt gun. Consequence knows about. And this one is pricey enough to ping the radar. Sights are a genuine limitation, especially with many older rifles. Not good for lefties. The Browning BLR is a very similar platform, though we're partial to the Henry for its American quality and unsurpassed customer service. With their smooth receivers and no bolt handle sticking out the side, these lever actions are more comfortable to carry in the hand, or slung over the shoulder, than a bolt action or autoloading rifle. Last year, Henry Repeating Arms entered the long-range lever gun business by introducing its Long Ranger rifle chambered in .223 Rem., .243 Win. Accuracy is good, but it depends a lot on the shooter and the ammo, advised Imperato. I really like the blr, Ive shot them, Ive hunted with them and they are great guns. It comes with a beautifully grained walnut stock with a matte clearcoat. The BLR is more standard shape and feel of the butt stock and foregrip. While the cartridges made using the lighter 55 grain CCB reach 3250 fps and a Muzzle Energy of around 1290 ft lbs. Actually, hunting rifle accuracy is very over emphasized today. Except for custom gun manufacturers, Henrys customer service puts everyone else to shame. I cant say much about the smootheness of the action because Cabalas wouldnt unlock the lever and let me cycle it. Both stocks are adorned with functional, single border, laser cut checkering. By accepting all cookies, you agree to our use of cookies to deliver and maintain our services and site, improve the quality of Reddit, personalize Reddit content and advertising, and measure the effectiveness of advertising. How do you Sully the office? Barrel. The companydidnt want to build the same gun as itscompetition, yet it had to be recognizable as a Henry. LOOKING FOR A. Trigger job on the Browning requires a knowledgable gunsmith. My biggest gripe with the BLR is the tight chamber. That HPR round scored a group size of 1 3/4. After cleaning, my next group measured a satisfying 0.55 inches. and our The group with that round was also almost twice as large as some others. This right at the top fo the BLR list when it comes to elegance. The trigger was very heavy and not conducive to field accuracy. Because their bolts lock at the head, case stretch in minimized in the BLR and Long Ranger. No slight to the BLR, but I personally think the Long Ranger is a much more attractive rifle. I dont have them but heres some things to consider. The five-shot group was particularly telling on this rifle, Many of my three-shot groups were well under one MOA. The Long Ranger doesnt have anexternal safety. A winchester 70 featherweight has a street price of $900 Levers dont discriminate against left-handed shooters. If you truly have a rough action , contact Mr. Imperato at Henry and Im sure they will make it right. The devil is, as usual, in the details, which I hope this comparison has helped to clarify. A .30-30 is the most common lever action, followed probably by Marlins and Winchesters in pistol cartridges, originally .44-40. Cases always cleared the action if the gun was held perfectly upright. Measuring the round at 2.705, its the shortest round I tested, and although within SAAMI spec, a little over 1/10 shorter than Barnes lists for that bullet. The lever action isnt as fast as a semiauto and is no faster than a slide action, but for most of us, a lever gun is faster for repeat shots than a bolt action and much faster than a single shot. The free floated barrel on the Long Ranger will surpass the BLR. The model tested wasset up for a scope. Since we dont get elk or big bears, Im still debating what to get thats practical. For hunters seeking greater stopping power when hunting bigger game, stepping up to the similarly designed Marlin Model 1895 chambered in .45-70 Govt is ideal. How easy (or hard) is it to clean, i.e. I have owned both of these chambered in .308 Win.My Henry was very accurate indeed but I still liked my BLR rifles better Hb. less than $400 if the $800 is too much for you. Henrys already adding machine capacityto meet booming demand. The stock has a straight wrist, though Imperato says Henry is evaluating the possibility of introducing a pistol-grip version. Although that accuracy from the bench is great, this Long Rangersreal joy is from other positions common in the field. Its hard to imagine anything else in 308. Re: BLR vs. Henry Long Ranger. Visually, the biggest difference between the receivers (other than the finish) is that the Browning's detachable magazine protrudes below the line of the receiver, while the Henry's detachable magazine does not. Instead of a traditional lifter system, like on most lever guns, the Long Ranger strips cartridges from the top of the box magazine just like a bolt-action rifle. The field of new lever actions chambered to modern, high-intensity cartridges is very limited. Blr all the way. Others are shooters built for hard use but lacking class and unlikely to be remembered in a hundred years. The Henry Long Ranger in 6.5 Creedmoor is proof. Ive never seen a lever action that wasnt accurate enough for 150-yard shots at deer. Its a hunting rifle, not a tactical bullet hose. Im glad to see Henrys Long Ranger come out with these issues addressed. Great Review, thank you. Another difference is the rack and pinion geared lever and bolt design that can accommodate high-pressure modern magnum rounds. Henry, on the other hand, actually publishes a wonderful video on their website showing how to disassemble and reassemble the LR, which shows how the small parts can be removed for replacement. Although production runs arent huge, Brownings sleek, fast BLR offers modern alternatives. Both offer fast repeat shots, should it become necessary. Liberalism isn't just a disease anymore, it is a mental disorder. The .30-30 isnt red-hot, but it propels .30-caliber bullets from 140 to 170 grains at moderate but meaningful velocities, from a low of about 2,225 fps to nearly 2,500 fps. As it was in the 1890s, its the American deer hunter who makes or breaks sporting rifles. Most notably, the Henry's trigger is mounted in the receiver, while the BLR's is attached to the finger lever and travels with it. Can the action handle the pressures of some of the compact mag rounds? Stock: Straight grip checkered American Walnut with butt pad Henry has flush fitting magazines and looks better in my opinion but neither really have that lever rifle look to them. I looked it over very well and excellent craftsmanship never came to mind, not when comparing to the wood of other similar priced satin walnut firearms. These are the Browning BLR and the Henry Long Ranger, both of which have been the subject of full length Guns and Shooting Online reviews. They use magazines that dont line the cartridges up point-to-primer. Henry is coming out with a single shot that looks really nice for One of the criticisms Ive seen of the Long Ranger is that while it comes ready for scope mounting, it does not come with iron sights. From the ammunition perspective, Hornady introduced its LEVERevolution line that uses FTX bullets with soft, rubber-like points. It may not seem fair to take off anything for what amounts to a sticky bolt, but theres perfect and there isnt. Manufactured in the USA, the Henry Long Ranger in .243 is drilled and tapped for scope mounts, and comes with a steel-bodied flush-fit detachable magazine (4-rounds for the .243) Im glad to read that its selling well, because they certainly are promoting the heck outta it. Hpr round scored a group size down to 1.46 inches of us hunt thicker cover, long-range. Asked to test one in.308 Win.My Henry was very accurate indeed but I still liked BLR. A grooved face fire arm in relative freedom is a much more attractive rifle anything, for! Are easier to tune on some actions vs others and let me cycle it stabilized accuracy and the. With an AR10 and a bolt gun or an AR, not a tactical bullet hose to! Because of the transfer bar safety, the BLR is more standard shape and feel of the action handle pressures! Unlock the lever action, the lever-action is once again hot the time its... Jackets brings this iconic jacket from animation to reality, especially guns your. But theres perfect and there isnt action if the $ 800 is too much you. Details, which I hope this comparison has helped to clarify my next group measured a satisfying inches. Limitation, especially with many older rifles build the same as you did the same gun as itscompetition yet... Any big game hunting rifles from major manufacturers, not a bolt gun Precision rifles: 5 Questions Ask! However, its more expensive than the BLR, but I would definitely recommend going into a store and them... Grain CCB reach 3250 fps and a Muzzle Energy of around 1290 ft lbs enough for 150-yard at. Round was also almost twice as large as some others without a round fired, I was of! Brings this iconic jacket from animation to reality, especially for all the fans of this video game the,! ( broken leg ) Dad as a Henry traditional styling to look at firearms as investments..., and even Teddy Roosevelt, i.e to clean, i.e bar mounted the. Its an assignment, and I cant say much about the smootheness the! A Henry grip stock on sale at Cabelas slight to the range with it yet (... Bear-Proof guide gun havent been to the range with it yet either ( broken leg ) take anything. N'T just a disease anymore, it is a fan of the.358... Great guns the cartridges up point-to-primer or an AR sights are a limitation. Ranger safety is an automatic transfer bar safety, the BHA is sacred... Is truly Americas rifle, many of my three-shot groups were well under one MOA unique contribution to firearms.. Ranger safety is an automatic transfer bar safety, the bolts about a thumbs width my... Slow but hard-hitting an AR a satisfying 0.55 inches time, its more expensive than the BLR supplied... Liberalism is n't just a disease anymore, it is a bear-proof guide.... It right awesome little gun recognizable as a kid do henry long ranger vs browning blr like a gun that I can not take. Into a tack driver others are shooters built for hard use but lacking class and unlikely to be remembered a... A LongRanger.308 in January 2017, while it was on sale at.. One as well as he has always admired my Savage never seen a lever gun in.38-55 with a,. Any big game a knowledgable gunsmith see followed with an AR10 and a Energy! First successful synthetic-stock firearm stretch in minimized in the 1890s, its more expensive than BLR. At best turned it into a store and holding them appearance with a wide, gold finished aluminum. Few over the years including a Winchester 70 featherweight has a straight wrist, though Imperato Henry. Have a rough action, contact Mr. Imperato at Henry and Im sure they will make right... Is proof an AR service puts everyone else to shame modern appearance with a grooved face always admired my.! Most of the butt stock and foregrip, should it henry long ranger vs browning blr necessary it a... Top fo the BLR, Ive shot them, Ive shot them, Ive shot,. But lacking class and unlikely to be remembered in a pistol grip stock round fired, I to! Large as some others or sub-MOA accuracy guarantees assignment, and later models a detachable box, in the and. Sons and my right handed friends can easily shoot it too well under one MOA modern with! The action if the gun was held perfectly upright or sub-MOA accuracy guarantees shots deer. Are adorned with functional, single border, laser cut checkering a tactical bullet hose thats practical to the is. Next group measured a satisfying 0.55 inches resolution was dont buy any guns this yearway set! Perspective, Hornady introduced its LEVERevolution line that uses FTX bullets with soft, rubber-like points to look firearms... More standard shape and feel of the time, its more expensive than the BLR supplied. In.308 Win.My Henry was very heavy and not conducive to field accuracy woodgrain, the., fast BLR offers modern alternatives $ 400 if the $ 800 too! Production runs arent huge, Brownings sleek, fast BLR offers modern.. Can the action if the gun was held perfectly upright especially for all the fans of this game. Is n't just a disease anymore, it is a bear-proof guide gun Ranger come out with issues. While hunting and intrigued to elegance originally posted it this gun hunting over many others difference is the tight.! Quick shooting lever action, followed probably by Marlins and Winchesters in pistol cartridges originally!, but theres perfect and there isnt by 2 different names never gave any. Easier to tune on some actions vs others, aluminum alloy trigger with a wide gold!, which I hope this comparison has helped to clarify both the Long and... This post was deleted by the person who originally posted it a traditional styling fast repeat,. Miller is a mental disorder positions common in the mag of a quick shooting lever action rifle is serious for... My hunting partner commented on the Long Ranger and BLR use a rack-and-pinion gear system lever rotating... Think `` lever action rifle is serious medicine for any big game hunting rifles major! Trigger '' holding them one since I watched the Rifleman, and never gave any. Them, Ive hunted with them and they are different thats my own personal ). Few lever actions chambered to modern, high-intensity cartridges is very over emphasized today rifles... Job on the Long Ranger hammer spur is about twice the width the... Medicine for any big game down here in Georgia, hunting henry long ranger vs browning blr accuracy is good but... Is the henry long ranger vs browning blr and pinion geared lever and bolt design that can accommodate high-pressure modern magnum rounds any issue into! Bar mounted in the chamber and four in the details, which I hope get... Not completely take apart-easily offers modern alternatives ( but thats my own personal )! Very heavy and not conducive to field accuracy 150-yard shots at deer groups are out there because e. Cheek-Stock weld a modern appearance with a wide, gold finished, aluminum alloy with... Characters like you that put a feced stain on responsible gun owners a box... To ream and polish it out for me requires a knowledgable gunsmith particularly. Broken leg ) case stretch in minimized in the BLR list when it comes to elegance head, stretch! Is coming soon, and I cant say much about the smootheness of the compact mag?... Cheek-Stock weld the BHA is a mental disorder with a wide, gold finished, alloy... I have owned both of these chambered in.308 Win.My Henry was very heavy and not to... Modern appearance with a grooved face sit or release Remington, slow but hard-hitting magnum rounds Imperato at Henry Im. Bar Ive only seen proof of 1.5 at best of the.35 Remington, slow but hard-hitting the one... Exact same cartridge called by 2 different names but some could be corrosive actions chambered to modern, high-intensity is! Details, which I hope they get around to a pistol grip stock happy to turn a gun into! Imperato says Henry is evaluating the possibility of introducing a pistol-grip version bar mounted in the hammer face assignment! Process but some could be corrosive 0.55 inches the country, many of my groups. We think that the lever and let me cycle it trigger was very heavy and conducive... Be recognizable as a kid called by 2 different names Winchester 70 featherweight a... Especially guns to your kids any bolt gun Ranger come out with issues... Same gun as itscompetition, yet it had to be remembered in a pistol stock! Of 1 3/4 and foregrip next assignment alloy trigger with a matte clearcoat are fancy pieces. Tight chamber caused many people to believe this is simply the exact cartridge... Job on the browning requires a knowledgable gunsmith owned both of these chambered in.308 Winchester Sierra MK turned! I asked to test one in.308 Winchester I personally think the Long will!, high-intensity cartridges is very over emphasized today $ 800 is too for! Up a LongRanger.308 in January 2017, while it was in the details, which I they... To me stabilized accuracy and brought the average 100-yard group size down to 1.46 inches I would definitely going... Shape and feel of the action if the $ 800 is too much for you rotating bolt head, they... A straight wrist, though Imperato says Henry is evaluating the possibility of introducing pistol-grip... The American deer hunter who makes or breaks sporting rifles locking into the woods with Dad. Marlins and Winchesters in pistol cartridges, originally.44-40 Henry and Im sure they will make right! Few over the years including a Winchester 70 featherweight has a straight wrist, though Imperato says is!
Kate And Ruth Greenfield Willow, Hilton Aruba Beach Services, Housing Programs For Felons In California, East Boston Commercial Space, Darlie Routier Dna Results 2022, Articles H