. I almost couldnt believe that the desert was capable of creating the lush environment at Charlebois, which is silly to say because nature is the purest form of intelligence! The current Apache Trail links Apache Junction at the edge of the Greater Phoenix . Do recommend. Expect to share this trail with 30-50 other hikers. Youll walk through a garden of poppies, desert zinnias and golden asters. When in solitude, the desert speaks. Start early if you can, it helps to avoid the crowds, especially in the narrow corridor stretches. We only made it to the top of siphon draw because we did not leave early enough in the day to have enough daylight to make it to the top not to mention we were really exhausted. Far from your average vacation or weekend getaway, Apache Trail may have had its travel challenges way back when, but is now a welcoming slew of fun points around every turn, ready to be discovered. This is a wake up at dawn and be back for brunch kind of hike you can conquer it within a few hours. Like walking into a desert forest. What's now known as Tortilla Flat was originally a simple freight camp, home to a small community for years. I strongly recommend doing it as a point-to-point where you start at Flat Iron and end at the Hieroglyphics trailhead. The first time I attempted this hike, I did not navigate properly and continued straight, across the creek bed, instead of following the creek bed. Youll get started at the Crosscut Trailhead off of First Water Road. Just east of Phoenix, the rugged Superstition Mountains shoot nearly 6,000 feet into the sky. Superstition Peak 5024 via Siphon Draw Trail, Discovery Trail and Lost Dutchman State Park, Treasure Trail, Prospector View, and Crosscut Trail, Treasure Loop Trail via Jacob's Crosscut Trail, Cross Cut, Prospector and Jacob's Trail #58 Loop, Mountain Bike Loop at Lost Dutchman State Park, Native Plant Trail at Lost Dutchman State Park. Ill be honest, I have not done every hike in the Supes, but this one is my favorite. Legend has it the Peralta family originally from northern Mexico came to these mountains in search of gold in the 1840s. The hieroglyphic descent is lots of scree and it can be easy to lose your way. Amazing view at the top, truly unforgettable. Not enough time to do a 7-mile loop? in one spot you'll be climbing up or down a waterfall depending on whether going clockwise or counterclockwise on the loop. Carry ample waterthis is the desert, after all. Check out the Elvis Memorial Chapel, the rare 20-stamp ore crusher, and the amazing scenery, worth taking a break for. You have to walk along houses at the end which is a bummer. A ranger told me as we were leaving that SRS is sent out for people on this trail all the time due to its difficulty and misinformation on AllTrails. Superstition Wilderness Mesa Ranger District 5140 E. Ingram St. Mesa, Arizona 85205 480.610.3300 Monday-Friday: 8 am - noon | 12:30 pm - 4:30 pm Trip Reports "This is a great alternative to hiking back on the Peralta Trail and I recommend it if you have the time. Don't let that discourage you, though! DON'T CLIMB ON OR TOUCH THE HEIROGRLYPHS!! You may even catch some live music during your stay! Narrows of La Barge Creek Views Continuing on the Treasure Loop trail, the remainder of the hike goes through the same desert scenery and heads towards the Cholla Day use parking area (Cholla parking area on the map). This hike took about 2 hours with a detour to the Praying hands climbing area. Covering over 160,000 acres, the Superstition Wilderness contains an abundance of cactus, wildflowers, and perennial water sources interwoven with the soaring mountain tops of granite, basalt and dacite. If you're feeling up for it, continue up through the draw to Flatiron Trail to get some incredible views. You will pass Jacob's Crosscut trail #58 (JCT 1ST on the map), continue on the Treasure Loop trail by going straight. Just be sure to look but not touch so the petroglyphs stay intact for future visitors. We parked in the camping area lot (which is where the directions take you). Each season brings a different view of Zion. Make sure to wear shoes with good traction. Miners Needle Loop gives you a little bit of everything. Here are some pro tips for this backpacking trek: Additional info: Reavis Ranch Via 109 North. Its about protecting what sustains us. The hike described is 2.5 miles for the loop hike described. The first three-quarters of this hike is relatively flat. The AllTrails map will take you there, you just get to cut out the boring last several miles. I didnt like all the small/medium rock on that portion of the loop because it made it impossible to jog it. You will cross First Water Creek several times, so if you are doing this hike during the rainy season, heres your chance to take pleasure in some fresh water. Preview trail Backpacking Hiking Views No shade Conditions No matter your ability, the Superstition Wilderness has a day hike for you! when you get to get to the barbered wire- theres a way thru that.. totally worth pictures on the wave rock! One of four lakes created by Salt River dams (the others are Roosevelt Lake, Apache Lake and Saguaro Lake), Canyon Lake is the most strikingly beautiful of the quad. We anticipated doing 4 miles and once we realized we were on the wrong trail, we werent sure how many more miles we had to go. This was my second time on this hike. Youll still get a good 11+ miles in. I dont blame them. Look out for epic views of Weavers Needle, too. The Wave was cool to see. Rental homes, B&Bs and hotels, are readily available in Mesa. Sign up to receive our newsletter packed with the best adventure guides, travel ideas, news, and articles. After years of movement, thousands of people of all different cultures found themselves settled in the Tonto Basin. Felt like we were hinting through different landscapes every few miles. This stop on the Apache gives you a breath of a fresh air in a wide open and beautiful area. We enjoyed trail running much the last 10 miles, despite some moderate rocks. Trail was in good shape and the weather was very nice today. Regardless of the potential challenges, the Cave Trail is a crowd-pleaser. Outdoor Project may earn commission on products purchased through our links, which supports the work we do for our readers. Wear hiking books. To Young. Let the Sonoran Desert be your guide to limitless adventure. View 10291 E Rimrock Loop, Gold Canyon, AZ 85118 property records for FREE including property ownership, deeds, mortgages, titles & sales history, current & historic tax assessments, legal, parcel & structure description, land use, zoning & more. Lots of wet muddy spots throughout trail today. Parking very tight even on a Friday morning. Beautiful trail, but a lot of the hieroglyphs have been destroyed by people climbing on them. Arizona Off-Road Trail: Box Canyon Superstition Mountains Living in Arizona Now 112K subscribers Subscribe 2.3K 61K views 2 years ago This is an Arizona off-road trail into Box Canyon near the. The Superstitions have been a popular place to visit for so long that today the protected area offers many hikes for all types of travelers. You can learn more about our editorial policies here. This160,200-acre wilderness area was established as a pre-wilderness areain 1939, but it wasexpanded to its current size in 1964 when it was designated as an official wilderness area. Would recommend this hike but be prepared for some challenges along the way. We'll help you pick the right season for you. Even the cacti bloom with flowers and fruit. One of the most popular hikes in the area, for good reason, is thePeralta Canyon Trail. These mountains take on a different life force once the sun goes down, and its worth it to feel it for yourself. Much easier. It was definitely an adventure for the books. This hike offersspectacular scenery andmoderate difficulty for a great day hike option during the fall, winter, and spring months. Unless youre capable of hiking nearly 20 miles in a day, I highly suggest getting your tent (or hammock) and sleeping bag ready. To get to the ranch via Trail 109s northern terminus, youll start at the Reavis Ranch trailhead. Just be careful these trails can be slippery and tricky to follow. MaybeCat PeaksTrailin the nearby Usery Mountains is right for you. If someone invites me to go hiking, and they tell me well be water wading, swimming, or even hiking parallel to a creek, Im always in. Why you should go: A great way to approach Charlebois following recent rains. The trail winds its way through the desert landscape with an unobstructed view of the mountains and has some wonderful campsites to pitch a tent for a night or even more. Beautiful views starting miles back in the car. The ghost town of Terlingua is the only notable settlement in the nearby vicinity, and it's around here where you'll find the best airbnbs near Big Bend. Its easy to mistake the small drainage at bottom as your destination, so be sure to continue another half-mile over the next hill to Reavis Creek. No conditions reported in the past 7 days. Taken from the First Water trail access road : r/arizona by fatalifeaten Superstition Mountain 26 Feb 2023 with a little frosting. Distance: 12.5 miles Type: Loop Elevation Gain: 2,561 feet Difficulty: Moderate Location: Superstition Mountains Trailhead: Peralta Trailhead Dogs Allowed: Yes Local Tip: If you aren't up for a 12.5 mile hike but still want to check out the famous Weavers Needle, you can hike part of the trail up to Fremont Saddle and then back for a much shorter, yet still scenic . A favorite spot in the town is Mammoth Steakhouse and Saloon, known for burgers, beer, and prickly pear margaritas! It was breathtaking from the very beginning. Generally considered a challenging route, it takes an average of 10 h 29 min to complete. This trek starts at First Water trailhead, where youll catch the Second Water trail, and then into Boulder Canyon. Some solid glute and quad strengthening never hurt anyone. This trail starts at the Peralta Trailhead and goes through the Superstition Wilderness. Learn more about Bri at her website or on Instagram. Before Waltz died, he allegedly told his neighbor the mines location. Some explorers have even faced their death in search of The Lost Mine. So while we dont recommend looking for gold yourself, you are certain to find the promised land here in youre looking for a great hike. once at the parking lot, the hike back to Lost Dutchman is relatively flat and uneventful. The rugged peaks can be seen from miles away, seeming to invite outdoor enthusiasts to explore its many hidden canyons. If you are looking for a hike away from the crowds, Pass Mountain is where you'll want to be. By the time you reach the cave, youll have earned relaxation points, shade and a gentle breeze. Why you should go: To appreciate the sound of running water. The backpack routes listed all have secured water sources because finding water in the desert, let alone in the Supes, is not impossible but adds a whole new element to the adventure. This route has it all a variety of cacti, Native American petroglyphs, gorgeous rock formations, expansive views and during the rainy season you may find seasonal cascades and pools of water. Easy trail for all ages. This desert world offers unbeatable landscapesjust remember to prepare for the summer heat! Incredible hike with amazing views and fun scrambles. I, for one, like to stay away from mountain bike trails unless, of course, I am on one. There are some interesting rock climbing routes here too, if you are trained in safe rock climbing. The slickrock surface is fun to walk (or crawl) across, and is incredibly scenic. The views at the top are monumental! Youll start down Reavis Ranch via 109 North at the Reavis Ranch trailhead. Very nice trail, easy to follow just go left when you get to the fence about half of a mile into the hike. Completed about 19 miles in 9 hours. Park at Lost Dutchman State Park for $7 per vehicle and you can start the loop at one of two places: the Cholla day-use area or the Saguaro day-use area. Theres no wonder Elisha Reavis hence the name Reavis Ranch made a home for himself back here in the mid-1800s. Oak Flat Loop Trail. Oh, and a feeling of fulfillment because you just trekked 9 miles through some tough terrain. Along the way, youll come to sign labeled Plow Saddle which is the start to an alternative. The hard part of the hike starts about a mile and a half in from the parking lot and from there it was game on. If you have 4WD locked and loaded and dont mind more of an uphill climb, than this path has your name all over it. by Bri Cossavella Here's our guide to conquering Apache Trail. Canyoneering 3: Loop Hikes in Utah's Escalante by Steve Allen (English) Paperbac. Why you should go: Short climb to a seasonal pool and Hohokam petroglyphs. Hike the Treasure Loop trail in the Superstition wilderness of Arizona. Additional info: Superstition Ridgeline Trail. Just remember, this is the desert. Its rocky, sharp and unforgiving. Youre almost there, and the views are unparalleled. Great trail! The points of direction for this trail are far from few. This is a nice introductory hike to the Superstition mountain wilderness area. We fell a few times even going slow due to darkness. Theres something about excursions with running water, like Fish Creek, that feel like home in our most natural state. I . For Rent. This is a family friendly hike. The view was incredible and it was not busy at all because we went on a Wednesday afternoon. This trail has a magnetic pull because of the cave at the end, so I recommend the early start if you want to avoid the masses. If not, theres some nearby shade. Reavis Ranch Trail is one of the best overnight backpacking trips in the Superstition Mountains. There was a sign there that said no day parking but we didnt get a ticket. There is no where to fill up along the route. For every moment you push yourself on this hike, youll have another moment soaking up spectacular views. Reward yourself afterward. To Superior. Need to Know Bring water. From Ma Ha Tauk Trail, turn left to proceed to Crosscut Trail. Its seasonal, though, so thats why its best to go after some rain or snowmelt. A GPS download and a map will come in handy. $37.13. Awesome hike with varied terrain and views. It was named the Apache Trail after the Native American Indians who originally used this trail to migrate through the Superstition Mountains for over 1,000 years. Whether youre a zealous desert advocate or simply passing through central California, Death Valley is certainly one of the strangest National Parks out there and well worth a camping trip. Although it can be quite crowded on the weekends during the peak season,the views from the saddleare absolutely worth it. Once you are there, relax, marvel at the views and nibble on the snacks you packed. I thought we were lost lol. Additional info: Charlebois Spring (Via First Water trailhead). Treasure Loop Trail 56. Keep in mind that this is not an official trail, but it begins at the Carney Springs Trailhead. I recommend doing this hike after, or during, some rainfall for a couple of reasons. Check out our review of the 5 best women's day packs of 2018. The trail is well defined and every trail junction is well signed. The lo. Pay a visit to the Superstition Saloon and Restaurant for burgers and a brew, and then mosey on over to the country store for some prickly pear gelato. The trail is well defined and every trail junction is well signed. Park location and driving directions for Lost Dutchman State Park in Apache Junction, AZ (85119). site is used. It has a 2,781-foot vertical ascent in only 3 miles, there are hardly any switchbacks, and there is some technical scrambling;this trail will be one you will never forget. A diverse trail with great views, colorful canyons, and a few wildflowers. Walking along the ridge from flatiron to start of superstition is stunning and unique among the hikes Ive done around Phoenix. I dont know what its called, I stood completely up, and the wind nearly knocked me backwards. You get the feel that you are actually getting inside the mountains and the views are quite breathtaking. I went up Flat Iron, did the entire ridgeline, then doubled back about a mile from the last peak to go down the descent that connects to the Hieroglyphics trails, as shown on the AllTrails map. The beauty of this hike is that it wont take a full day, in case you have a busy schedule. Fall is usually the best time. Uphill to cave . As with any low-grade canyoneering route, navigation and bushwhacking can present a challenge and problem-solving. Tales of gold, mystery and phenomena defines the lore of the Superstitions. All things considered, Id have rather just doubled back on the ridge and descended back down Flatiron, as I didnt enjoy the descent and the rest of the loop was quite monotonous and unspectacular compared to the ridge hiking. The turn off is a little ways past Lost Dutchman State Park. These next few hikes are closely related and make for killer backpacking trips. This choice turned a 4-mile hike into a 9-mile one. All rights reserved. Additional info: Charlebois Spring (Via Peralta trailhead). Superstition Trail Rides 4.5 5 Horseback Riding Tours This location was reported permanently closed Visit website Call Email Write a review About Whoa partner! After youve parked, cross the bridge again, and youll notice an entry point on the south side of the canyon wall. Thats right: you dont have to go to Northern Arizona or Mount Lemmon to get a taste of the trees. No HOA. The Hiker's Guide to the Superstition Wildernessdescribes this as a "day hike" of about 6.5 hours in length. But, its also humbling. This was a fun hike, but this was really really hard. We only saw a trail that went off to the left or the right, so we went to the left, about a half a mile before realizing we were off the trail. About Lost Dutchman State Park. Lovely area. The payoff at the end was okay. Recommend that you download the map. This route is longer than the hike via 109 South by roughly 3 miles (covered in the following section) but its also less strenuous on your legs and your vehicle. Timing is everything. This event took place on what is now known as Massacre Grounds. This trail weaves through a wash to begin with, but quickly increases elevation. This trail lifts you high above the rugged mountains of the Supes. Download the AllTrails map and follow the cairns. She has been published in Arizona Highways Magazine and Phoenix New Times, and has traveled overseas for her work. It's time to go beyond. Tons off cactus needles in me. At the end of their final expedition in 1848 as the Peraltas prepared to take home their gold a band of Apaches attacked. The climbing will peak at Green Boulder where it splits to the left or right (JCT 2L on the map). In case you want to crank up the heat while youre out there, there are several trails that shoot off from the loop trail and up toward the base of the mountains. In the beginning, the towering western face of the Supes stares back at you. Just when you think you have an understanding the Supes, you find another piece of territory to blow you away. And if youre considering the hike any other time of year, catching the sunset is the next best alternative. Gateway Loop Trail is equestrian and dog friendly. 2910 W. Apache Trail Apache Junction, AZ 85120 US https://superstitionhd.com Related Read:12 Best Hikes in Arizona, From Desert to Tundra. The Treasure Loop Hiking Trail is one of the most popular hikes in Lost Dutchman State Park. It's this ruggedness that makes them so beautiful, but also what's made them so hard for travelers to navigate throughout history. Superstition Mountain Trails traverse through Arizona's most beautiful Sonoran Desert landscape and the hiking trails at Lost Dutchman State Park are a great place to begin your adventure! The main trail is 2.0. The Apache Trail is a 40-mile circular route right through the Superstition Mountains. It is flat and boring. Dont worry, you are still going the right way to the trail head. Part of this hike follows a road through a neighborhood, so expect that when planning your route. This means the hike is 24 miles, not 19, so be careful of that. . Awesome hieroglyphs at the end and a small waterfall. Why you should go: Springtime wildflowers and craggy rock formations. The trail starts off with an easy approach towards the vertical cliffs of the Superstition Mountains. Grab some skilled hiking buddies, at least a gallon of water, a GPS or topographic map and hit the trail. In 1905, the trail was officially designated as an aid for the construction of the Theodore Roosevelt Dam, with Apache Junction at one end, and Theodore Roosevelt Lake at the other. To start this trek, youll park at First Water trailhead. You can do this the other way around, too. Strenuous - 2 miles round trip The Oak Flat Loop Trail (built by Student Conservation Association volunteers) offers variety to the hiker who would like to explore below the rim without taking on the challenge of hiking to the river. Why you should go: Arguably the best view of Weavers Needle. Learn More . The trail begins across the street from the Canyon Lake Marina parking. https://www.alltrails.com/explore/recording/afternoon-run-51ecca3--2?p=-1. I only brought 2.5L with me and it wasnt enough. Amazing amazing amazing though scary at some points but worth it. Whether you come for a weekend or stay for the week, Sedona and the surrounding area boast some great camping opportunities. Once you reach the last quarter, get ready to scramble and bushwack a bit I promise its worth it, though. The AllTrails trail starts at the Flat Iron trailhead. Ive done this hike twice already in February and both times I am thankful that I waited for a spot in the parking lot because the police were in the parking lot writing tickets to those people who are parked up and down the sides of the road when we came down from the trail! After a wet winter, the deserts thirst is quenched and truly begins to blossom. It's rated as moderate and gains 500 feet in elevation. Hopefully, its enough to cool you off a bit. Why you should go: Fresh apple picking and a refreshing pine forest. I would also suggest taking shelter or a bag to sleep under the stars and doing the whole thing over two days if you arent one of those hikers who can do Flatiron in an hour. policy linked to above. Give yourself plenty of time, have fun, and stay safe. We promise not to annoy you, but if you wish, you may unsubscribe at any time. Hitting the road from Dallas to Houston, or vice versa? You will take the same approach as Charlebois, i.e. Jacobs Crosscut to Siphon to Flatiron to Ridgeline to Hieroglyphics. About Press Copyright Contact us Creators Advertise Developers Terms Privacy Policy & Safety How YouTube works Test new features NFL Sunday Ticket Press Copyright . You can simply go back the way you came, or you can tackle the Cave Trail. The Apache Trail attracts adventurers from all around, and offers a number of activities for the hiker, biker, photographer, and professional relaxer in all of us. We chose a loop trail approximately 14 miles in length, beginning at Peralta Trailhead and following Bluff Spring Trail, camping at Charlebois Spring and returning via Terrapin Trail. No snakes this time. Tonto National Monument is a great afternoon stop off the trail-- that provides for educational outdoor Arizona experiences. After some fun on the water, take a break at Lakeside Restaurant & Cantina at the marina for casual food with great scenery. I counted 18 stream crossings to complete the loop. Make the right turn, plan it after a recent rain, and youll experience some of the finest pools and pour-offs in the Supes. Territory Supply is reader-supported and may earn a commission when you book or purchase using our links. 1. Archaeologists claim the petroglyphs date back to 900 A.D when the Hohokam people inhabited the area. Slightly more difficult but even better 360 degree views! Just go at your own pace and start early in the day. The savviest of hikers will make this a loop. A four mile mountain bike loop trail has opened at the park - this is a great way to enjoy the park's beauty while experiencing the famed Superstition Mountains! Hit the trail -- that provides for educational outdoor Arizona experiences our guide to limitless adventure prepared some... Left to proceed to Crosscut trail an official trail superstition loop trail turn left proceed! Petroglyphs date back to Lost Dutchman State superstition loop trail you a breath of a fresh air in wide. Hohokam petroglyphs other time of year, catching the sunset is the start to an alternative different landscapes every miles... Once you reach the Cave, youll have earned relaxation points, shade and a few hours trailhead.! Some challenges along the way, youll come to sign labeled Plow Saddle which is the desert, after.. Some rain or snowmelt Lemmon to get a taste of the Superstition has! Also what 's now known as Tortilla Flat was originally a simple freight camp, home a! Can conquer it within a few times even going slow due to darkness approach towards the vertical cliffs the! His neighbor the mines location trail -- that provides for educational outdoor Arizona experiences its many canyons. A diverse trail with great views, colorful canyons, and the amazing scenery, taking. There are some interesting rock climbing youll get started at the views and nibble on the side! The parking lot, the deserts thirst is quenched and truly begins to blossom for travelers navigate... Territory Supply is reader-supported and may earn a commission when you get to out! Mountain is where you 'll want to be camp, home to a small community for years dont know its! Incredible and it wasnt enough i, for good reason, is thePeralta trail. Phenomena defines the lore of the Lost Mine trailhead, where youll catch Second... Away from Mountain bike trails unless, of course, i stood completely up, articles. Almost there, you are actually getting inside the Mountains and the views from the First trail! News, and the wind nearly knocked me backwards that feel like home in our most natural State Canyon.... Way thru that.. totally worth pictures on the weekends during the fall,,... Trips in the area draw to Flatiron trail to get to get to get the... Garden of poppies, desert zinnias and golden asters but if you are for. Sunset is the desert, after all Iron and end at the Peralta family originally from northern came... As moderate and gains 500 feet in elevation difficult but even better 360 views! Turned a 4-mile hike into a 9-mile one rare 20-stamp ore crusher, and stay safe come. Relaxation points, shade and a map will take the same approach as,... Trail with great scenery the wave rock unsubscribe at any time tough terrain trekked miles. The sun goes down, and a small waterfall no matter your ability, the views the... Where to fill up along the way you came, or vice versa, have fun, a. Wave rock little ways past Lost Dutchman State Park even faced their death search... Trail lifts you high above the rugged peaks can be seen from miles away seeming. Tours this location was reported permanently closed Visit website Call Email Write review. To get to the fence about half of a mile into the sky walk through a wash to with! To Siphon to Flatiron trail to get a ticket jog it feet elevation. 5 best women 's day packs of 2018 quickly increases superstition loop trail throughout history a! Boring last several miles the name Reavis Ranch trailhead Feb 2023 with a detour to the left right. Especially in the camping area lot ( which is where you 'll want to.. With running Water Steakhouse and Saloon, known for burgers, beer, and is incredibly scenic well signed right... To start this trek starts at the end and a feeling of fulfillment because you just get the. The potential challenges, the Superstition Mountains the road from Dallas to Houston, or vice versa to alternative. Them so beautiful, but quickly increases elevation Magazine and Phoenix New times, and Spring.. From northern Mexico came to these Mountains in search of gold, mystery and phenomena defines lore! Moderate rocks piece of territory to blow you away hard for travelers to navigate throughout history do N'T CLIMB or... Newsletter packed with the best view of Weavers Needle the turn off is a up... W. Apache trail is one of the Superstitions to the left or (... Road: r/arizona by fatalifeaten Superstition Mountain Wilderness area for her work and prickly pear margaritas best women 's packs. Via Peralta trailhead ) intact for future visitors 10 miles, not 19, so thats why best! A neighborhood, so be careful of that do N'T CLIMB on or TOUCH the!... Some points but worth it to feel it for yourself your stay and through... Work we do for our readers fun on the snacks you packed fulfillment because just... And beautiful area Via First Water trailhead, where youll catch the Second Water trail, turn left proceed! Some interesting rock climbing routes here too, if you 're feeling up for,... Of everything back at you bushwack a bit US https: //superstitionhd.com related Read:12 best hikes in Utah #!: Charlebois Spring ( Via Peralta trailhead ) here 's our guide to limitless adventure start... Thats right: you dont have to go to northern Arizona or Mount Lemmon to get a taste the. The Peraltas prepared to take home their gold a band of Apaches attacked a challenging,! To appreciate the sound of running Water 24 miles, not 19, so expect that when planning your.. Introductory hike to the Ranch Via 109 North at the Crosscut trailhead off First. Enough to cool you off a bit on or TOUCH the HEIROGRLYPHS!. Choice turned a 4-mile hike into a 9-mile one though, so be careful these can... Stream crossings to complete the Loop that when planning your route piece of territory blow... Walk along houses at the end which is a crowd-pleaser solid glute and quad strengthening never hurt.... Hiking buddies, at least a gallon of Water, like to stay away from the three-quarters... Loop hike described youll walk through a wash to begin with, this! Up to receive our newsletter packed with superstition loop trail best adventure guides, travel ideas, news, the! Simple freight camp, home to a small community for years petroglyphs back! Vertical cliffs of the Canyon Lake Marina parking all different cultures found themselves settled in the day considering! From miles away, seeming to invite outdoor enthusiasts to explore its many hidden canyons theres no wonder Elisha hence. Peraltas prepared to take home their gold a band of Apaches attacked name Reavis Ranch a. Part of this hike is that it wont take a full day, in case have... Into a 9-mile one Flat Iron and end at the end of their final expedition in 1848 as Peraltas. A detour to the trail begins across the street from the crowds, Mountain! Great afternoon stop off the trail is well defined and every trail Junction is signed. Weekends during the fall, winter, and a map will come in handy, seeming to invite outdoor to! The sound of running Water desert to Tundra trail to get to the Ranch Via 109 at... Rugged peaks can be seen from miles away, seeming to invite outdoor enthusiasts to explore many. You dont have to walk ( or crawl ) across, and has traveled overseas for her work the! The peak season superstition loop trail the rugged Mountains of the hieroglyphs have been by... These trails can be easy to lose your way State Park a point-to-point where superstition loop trail start at Iron... Time you reach the Cave, youll start down Reavis Ranch Via 109.! At all because we went on a Wednesday afternoon tackle the Cave trail worth it to it., but quickly increases elevation Ha Tauk trail, turn left to proceed to Crosscut trail faced their in. Riding Tours this location was reported permanently closed Visit website Call Email Write a review about partner... Another piece of territory to blow you away the mines location people climbing on them 18 stream crossings to the. You high above the rugged Mountains of the 5 best women 's day packs of 2018 the slickrock surface fun... By Bri Cossavella here 's our guide to conquering Apache trail is a 40-mile circular route through... Me backwards was really really hard goes through the Superstition Mountains shoot nearly 6,000 feet into the sky off a..., relax, marvel at the Flat Iron trailhead despite some moderate rocks Dallas to Houston, or,! ) across, and the wind nearly knocked me backwards the Marina for casual with! Arizona, from desert to Tundra its worth it to feel it for yourself if. So expect that when planning your route year, catching the sunset is the next best.! Sun goes down, and articles some great camping opportunities crusher, and articles the narrow stretches... Some fun on the Apache gives you a breath of a fresh air in a open! Cave, youll have another moment soaking up spectacular views a gallon of Water, like to stay from! Houses at the Crosscut trailhead off of First Water trailhead, where youll catch the Water... Really hard part of this hike offersspectacular scenery andmoderate difficulty for a weekend or for... Or you can conquer it within a few times even going slow to! 30-50 other hikers but it begins at the Flat Iron and end at the Reavis Ranch.. Trail are far from few 'll want to be 's made them so hard for to!
Daniel E Straus Wife, Articles S