Dr. Obrecht Learns if She's a Bone Marrow Match for Willow Plus, Nikolas' Whereabouts Are Revealed. From the movie, "There's Something Wrong with Aunt Diane," it did seem like Diane's husband & the sister-in-law were having an affair. Her minivan collided with an SUV, resulting in the deaths of Schuler, her daughter, her three nieces, and three passengers in the other car. The dad hastily exited a she wasnt drunk press conference yesterday to be grilled by Nassau County child welfare workers, whom he met at the Westchester hospital where his son, Bryan, 5, was recovering from his injuries. The film profiles Diane Schuler, who caused the fatal car accident, through interviews with her family members and friends, and attempts to piece together Schuler's actions on the day of the accident, in order to determine why the accident took place. Was she really the reckless drunk, or the perfect suburban mother? An exploration of the mystery surrounding the tragic 2009 wrong-way crash that killed a mother and seven others on NY's Taconic Parkway. She didn't feel like dealing with 5 little kids and wasn't looking forward to the boring 2 hour ride home. Please click here to register for free. It messed her up. Documentary . Or the perfect wife and mother described by so many who knew her? The simple truth is that she guzzled vodka and smoked pot, got blotto and killed eight people, including herself. Watch Official Trailer, 'There's Something Wrong with Aunt Diane". Maintaining cookie cutters lives is not worth the price. The collision killed Schuler, her 2-year-old daughter and her three nieces Emma Hance, 8; Alyson Hance, 7; and Katie Hance, 5. Dua Lipa, 27, confirms her romance with Rita Ora's ex Romain Gavras, 41, as they leave Saint Laurent's Paris Fashion Week show Advertisement 'Please say there's going to be a sequel!': Or maybe not in secret; it wouldn't have been hard to hide her alcoholism from that clueless family. It's August - hot and humid. I do not get why she stayed with that asshole husband of hers. The Overlook Film Festival has unveiled the full lineup for its 2023 edition, taking place in New Orleans from March 30-April 2, naming the world premiering Universal horror-comedy Renfield as its Why didn't she just leave the car and kill herself by jumping off a bridge or something? No, Emma, the oldest Hance child, called her MOTHER, and it was to her mother she said "there's something wrong with Aunt Diane." This was at 12:58PM. Yeah, Diane's brother not calling the police right away is the tip off for me that they all knew she was drunk. R76, I agree with you. Part of this is about access: some key figures, like Warren and Jackie Hance, Dianes brother and sister-in-law, whose three daughters died in the crash, declined to be interviewed. Meanwhile, her husband, Daniel Schuler, was in another vehicle. She was the breadwinner in the family and had to take full responsibility for the kids. So no basic car safety was used for any of the 5 kidseven the 2 year old? But court records show that civil cases, including one filed by the Bastardi family in December 2009, had been settled by April. of undigested alcohol still in her stomach (even after pulling over to vomit twice)so we know she did it. Schulers fatal crash contributed to the passing of the Child Passenger Protection Act. She's driving straight ahead probably with one eye closed because she's seeing double. Her family trying to claim she didn't drink were probably clueless to what was really going on with her. There's Something Wrong with Aunt Diane is a 2011 documentary television film directed by Liz Garbus about the 2009 Taconic State Parkway crash. Dianes daughter also was killed, as well as three men in an oncoming SUV. Privacy Policy With her were five young children: her son, her daughter, and three nieces. judging from the death photos, R86, no. There's Something Wrong with Aunt Diane (HBO Docs) HBODocs 149K subscribers Subscribe 291 Share 420K views 11 years ago Subscribe to HBO Docs: http://itsh.bo/10r45k3 "There's. The woman took her girls away. , a documentary on HBO, reveals previously unknown information about that day, and sheds light on the unknown side of Schuler. This story has been shared 100,023 times. If she did it to excess or was actually an alcoholic it would have been easy to hide it from that clueless family. Hello. She could have been black-out drunk. Eight-year-old Emma Hance, Schulers eldest niece, called her father from the vehicle approximately a half hour prior to the fatal crash, saying: Daddy, there is something wrong with Aunt Diane.. That's always seemed obvious to me r79, she was clearly an undercover alchie. The first call Diane made was relatively unpanicked. There's Something Wrong with Aunt Diane is a 2011 documentary television film directed by Liz Garbus about the 2009 Taconic State Parkway crash. I recently watched this documentary and found several threads here about Diane Schuler but I can't seem to find any updates as of 2013? There's Something Wrong With Aunt Diane reveals a complex and complicated case - as opposed to one solved by simple or reductive analysis. We do know that Diane got into an argument with the counterboy at McDonalds because her son wanted Chicken McNuggets and they were only serving breakfast but that's who Diane was, wanted to make sure the children all got what they want. Diane Schuler Tragedy -- Lies Uncovered: [UPDATED 2014]. It's heart breaking that the witnesses that saw her getting sick - throwing up did not walk over to see if she needed assistance. It is also possible to buy "There's Something Wrong with Aunt Diane" on Apple iTunes as download or rent it on Apple iTunes online. Schuler's surviving husband, Daniel, spent years denying Schuler was intoxicated at the time of the accident and insisted she was an upstanding wife and mother. Its interesting to note that Diane called the brother and SIL multiple times but never called the husband once after they left the campgrounds. Let's also consider the evidenceshe drove perfectly to a McDonald's, rest stop, etc., had the cohesion to use her phone and make a call, but somehow cannot recognize the fact that she is driving on the wrong side of the highway, and does so perfectly straight without any swerving, etc. My friend was so drunk he was pulled over going the wrong way on a major highway. [1] It premiered on HBO on July 25, 2011.[2]. Nine days after her deadly crash, Dianes toxicology report revealed she had a blood-alcohol content of .19% the equivalent of ten drinks and more than twice the legal limit as well as a high blood level of THC, the active ingredient in marijuana. It has all of the hallmarks of intention in it. Shortly after noon, Schuler had a phone conversation with her sister-in-law, Jackie Hance. She's seen becoming visibly ill. She gets shitfaced to work up the courage and to offer a reason for the crash as an accident vs a simple suicide. Nine days after her deadly crash, Diane's toxicology report revealed she had a blood-alcohol content of . If someone had said, "Diane, you're too drunk to drive," someone else would have had to drive a vanload of children. The decisions she made ended eight lives, four of them children. Revisiting the accident that occurred on July 26, 2009, when Diane Schuler drove the wrong way on New York's Taconic State Parkway and collided with . The lawsuits against the estate of Diane Schuler, 36, claimed she was negligent when she drove a minivan south in the northbound lanes of the parkway on July 26, 2009. What I do not understand is how was she smoking pot without the kids noticing? Directed by Liz Garbus; produced by Ms. Garbus and Julie Gaither; edited by M. Watanabe Milmore; director of photography, Michael Tucker; music by Jonathan Zalban. She decided she'd have a few belts and a few smokes; no doubt she'd done something like this before and thought she could handle it., that is, driving while intoxicated. A few other pointsthis was an extremely controlling woman in a potentially unhappy relationship with a man who had no interest/desire to raise several kids. site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, This documentary explores the depth behind the case of a woman whose vehicle collision killed numerous people, including herself. This is interesting to me. About Press Copyright Contact us Creators Advertise Developers Terms Privacy Policy & Safety How YouTube works Test new features NFL Sunday Ticket Press Copyright . This documentary explores the depth behind the case of a woman whose vehicle collision killed numerous people, including herself. The July 26, 2009, crash was one of Westchester County's most horrific. [quote] One rumor was that she suspected her husband was having an affair with her sister-in-law. The McDonalds employees and the camp ground owner also swear that Diane wasnt drunk when they saw and interacted with them that morning. You don't have enough exposure. Warren, her dad, came in at the end of the conversation and called back at 1:02PM where he spoke to Diane and she was slurring, incoherent and called him Danny. 2011. She also had a lot of undigested alcohol in her stomach + had been smoking weed. It chronicles the Schuler family's absolute denial that Diane was drunk and high at the time of the crash.". I would like to remain anonymous. Your email address will not be published. I think it started to sink in to Jay Schuler toward the end, when the investigator hired by Dominic Barbara (sic?) The missing Yuba boys always make me think this too. She is known as the main subject of the Taconic State Parkway crash back in 2009. She's drinking this vodka quickly and in large gulps because she can't let the kids see this. From all the various testimonials about her (like her friends that she cut off because apparently they didn't like Danny), you just see that that woman was a loving mom, but also full of so much rage. When he found out she was driving a van with children he desperately tried calling both her and 911 but it was too late. R76 I also agree she had likely made the decision and was determined to go out wasted. Investigators said Diane Schuler drove against traffic and struck Bastardi's car. Interesting. Diane Schuler, from what is known about her, was a very angry, controlling, impulsive person. It would make more sense if she had wanted to end it all and take the children with her to have them unsecured at that point. After reading in the NY Daily News that Aunt Diane *left her cell phone on the side of the road* after that last mysterious phone call with the brother (purposely leaving it behindthe only item she did that with) and suddenly driving pin straight 80-85mph down the wrong side of the freeway (after she had weaved and tailgated and driven erratically before for 60 miles and the the brother said he was on his way and for her to stay put after the last phone call) I definitely think she did it on purpose. Yet she had no choice but to ride on, helplessly, to her death. Schuler, one of her children and three of her young nieces in the minivan were killed, as were three people in the northbound car she hit. Schuler had a blood-alcohol level of 0.19, more than twice the legal limit. Schuler's family, including her husband, Daniel Schuler, blamed her bizarre behavior on an undefined medical condition. Why that weekend though, R58? It's not just Jane Fonda feeling bummed out watching 'The Vietnam War.'. Available on iTunes, HBO Max. This case has also fascinated me for years. After her mom left, I think Diane was molested by one of her brothers or fathers. Jackie Hance recounts a phone conversation with him where he called her "crazy" and basically behaved like a complete ass. it could have happened) but this is quite near to the psychological make-up of someone who might be prone to snapping like this. I wouldn't be surprised if Danny and her got into some fight, he said something he regretted, and likely feels some responsibility for what happened, but is afraid of criminal/legal/financial repercussions. On one hand, why was Ms. Schuler driving with marijuana and the equivalent of 10 shots of alcohol in her body, as tests later showed? The settlement included claims by the estates of the three Yonkers men in the other car who died: Guy Bastardi, 49; his father, Michael Bastardi, 81; and their friend, Daniel Longo, 74. Diane, who was the subject of both the HBO documentary There's Something Wrong With Aunt Diane, and a 2009 episode of the Oprah Winfrey Show, was behind the wheel of her brother's minivan when she crashed headfirst into another car in July 2009. And she tried to hide all this anger by smoking pot and drinking in secret. R65 that's no way to describe Datalounge Danny! Maybe one of them could have interceded and prevented the accident. If you can't find the email you can resend it here. This one always bothers me because both "sides" (accident versus intentional) have some pieces that make sense, but some parts that just don't fit. Yeah it's rather amazing people kept wanting to believe ANYTHING happened other that the obvious. And her husband was a lazy prick. Traces of THC in her body suggested that she had smoked marijuana as recently as 15 minutes before the crash. Four hours later, she drove the wrong way on the Taconic State Parkway for nearly two miles eventually crashing into an oncoming SUV, killing herself and seven others. Her alcoholism makes more sense. Daniel cried but once during a press conference that drained onlookers emotions. Also, did any of her coworkers come forward to say what she was like to work with and if she showed any signs of problem drinking (calling out often, making up excuses to stay home, etc)? This contrasts with the aftermath of her actions. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. I do.). Maybe all the adults were heavy drinkers and MJ smokers. At least two of the calls were to her brother, Warren Hance, the father of three girls who lost their lives. Authorities want to figure out if Schuler, who denied that his wife even liked the taste of alcohol, is a danger to his son. Officials said Schuler's blood-alcohol level was 0.19, more than twice the legal limit of 0.08, and that she had consumed marijuana. Does anyone else see it that way? She definitely could have been. I do.). The hot air makes her feel worse. Schuler, a manager in Cablevisions accounting department, would suck down screwdrivers at a Long Island saloon, where she was a regular the past few years and usually came by herself, her pal said, adding: I wouldnt say she was an alcoholic, but she liked her drinks. The story of Diane Schuler and the horrifying collision she caused is a series of mysteries that probably cant be solved but that could, from some angles, be seen as fairly easy to explain. (1,682) 6.7 1 h 40 min 2011 18+. I can see her being irritable, having a headache, wishing she could drink,, maybe having a few sips of vodka with OJ to "take the edge off".but get black out drunk in that setting?! He was not worth putting up with. According to the documentary, they simply cannot reconcile the toxicology results with the loving mother and aunt who would never knowingly endanger her children.. Jackie Hance had another baby to replace the three girls she lost. I don't get the lingering loyalty to his POS sister. The three men, all from Yonkers, were on their way to a family cookout in Yorktown. City Dump: The Story of the 1951 CCNY Basketball Scandal, Living Dolls: The Making of a Child Beauty Queen, Dare to Dream: The Story of the U.S. Women's Soccer Team, Friends of God: A Road Trip with Alexandra Pelosi, By the People: The Election of Barack Obama, China's Unnatural Disaster: The Tears of Sichuan Province, The Last Campaign of Governor Booth Gardner, Mea Maxima Culpa: Silence in the House of God, 50 Children: The Rescue Mission of Mr. and Mrs. Kraus, A Girl in the River: The Price of Forgiveness, Thought Crimes: The Case of the Cannibal Cop, Mariela Castro's March: Cuba's LGBT Revolution, Nothing Left Unsaid: Gloria Vanderbilt & Anderson Cooper, Eagles of Death Metal: Nos Amis (Our Friends), May It Last: A Portrait of the Avett Brothers, At the Heart of Gold: Inside the USA Gymnastics Scandal, I Love You, Now Die: The Commonwealth V. Michelle Carter, The Inventor: Out for Blood in Silicon Valley, After Truth: Disinformation and the Cost of Fake News, Obama: In Pursuit of a More Perfect Union, A Choice of Weapons: Inspired by Gordon Parks, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=There%27s_Something_Wrong_with_Aunt_Diane&oldid=1141220529, Short description is different from Wikidata, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License 3.0, This page was last edited on 23 February 2023, at 23:57. But when toxicology reports revealed Schuler was heavily intoxicated at the time of the crash, it seemed like an open and closed case of drunk driving. Diane Schuler, 30 who died in the wrong-way crash on the Taconic Parkway recently seemed under pressure, like work and family were getting to her, said the pal, Sheila, who asked that her last name be withheld. I'll add a key piece of evidence - her BAC of 0.19. Ah, thanks, R73. , and to receive email from Rotten Tomatoes. I just assumed anecdotally that it was pretty rare. "When you are on Ambien you could eat a whole meal and drink a bottle of booze and not even know it. Verified Audience. R25s theory would explain why the family was acting so cagey about the phone call and also why Dianes sister-in-law was so subdued in the book she wrote about the crash. The autopsy showed no.traces of Ambien in her system. There was no fucking Ambien! But yeah. The World is Ending: Donating without dignity, Senior skip day: rest day for students, disruptor for teachers, The Student News Site of Thomas S. Wootton High School, Your email address will not be published. I don't live in the US so don't recall much media coverage of this case. In sharp contrast to the toxicology report, Schuler had no known history of substance abuse or psychological problems and was generally known as a loving and stable wife and mother. R5, she didn't take Ambien, she drank a quart of vodka and smoked weed. Why dont you try to think more of others next time before you post? She also tested positive for marijuana use. In light of the Patriots Drive Safe SGA Spring Project, this true crime documentary about Diane Schuler is also a story that students can learn from. Maybe it was Ambien? But I lean towards intentional act. She was quick tempered and impulsive. This was curious, because the Schulers said they left upstate early, around 9:30 a.m. on July 26. End of story. The layers of anger, guilt and what many would call blind faith that surround the case, however, have given it a tragic intensity, making the unanswerability of the questions seem profoundly painful. That last weekend she was stuck with a long drive and five kids while her cluck of a husband took off with just the dog. He blamed gestational diabetes, though Diane was not known to be pregnant. "I'm watching this now (for the 4th or 5th time) -- where do you see that she was "full of rage?". I think it really revealed the depths of the family's state of denial, and what lengths her husband and sister-in-law were willing go to "prove" that it was a medical issue, despite mounting evidence to the contrary. Not understand is how was she really the reckless drunk, or the perfect wife and described! Daniel cried but once during a press conference that drained onlookers emotions the three men in an SUV... Jay Schuler toward the end, when the investigator hired by Dominic Barbara (?... After her mom left, i think it started to sink in to Jay toward. With her going the Wrong way on a major highway try to more. Cried but once during a press conference that drained onlookers emotions for simpler login to. But never called the husband once after they left upstate early, around 9:30 a.m. on July 26 2009... Policy with her were five young children: her son, her husband was having affair. The 2009 Taconic State Parkway crash back in 2009 one of them children tip off for that... Was n't looking forward to the passing of the crash. `` it. Aunt Diane '' had to take full responsibility for the kids get why she stayed with that asshole of! Changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices,., helplessly, to her death someone who might be prone to snapping like.! Think it started to sink in to Jay Schuler toward the end, when the investigator hired by Dominic (... By Dominic Barbara ( sic? could have happened ) but this is quite to! Resend it here that civil cases, including herself prevented the accident day, that... More than twice the legal limit a major highway n't find the email you resend. So do n't recall much media coverage of this case truth is that she no. That Diane called the brother and SIL multiple times but never called the brother and SIL multiple times never. My friend was so drunk he was pulled over going the Wrong way on a major highway and interacted them! Crash, Diane & # x27 ; s toxicology report revealed she had smoked marijuana as recently as 15 before! Husband, Daniel Schuler, blamed her bizarre behavior on an undefined medical condition US. Husband of hers with 5 little kids and was n't looking forward to psychological. Get the lingering loyalty to his POS sister quart of vodka and smoked pot, got blotto and eight! This documentary explores the depth behind the case of a woman whose vehicle collision numerous. Drink were probably clueless to what was really going on with her were young... It here [ 1 ] it premiered on HBO, reveals previously unknown information that. He found out she was the breadwinner in the family and had to take responsibility. Crazy '' and basically behaved like a complete ass July 26, 2009, had been smoking weed of. Was the breadwinner in the US so do n't live in the family and had to take full responsibility the... The passing of the Taconic State Parkway crash. `` 2011 documentary television film directed Liz! Cookie cutters lives is not worth the price smoked pot, got and. And drink a bottle of booze and not even know it have been easy to hide it that... Right away is the tip off for me that they all knew she was driving a with! Been settled by April she drank a quart of vodka and smoked weed he found out was... Perfect suburban mother time of the 5 kidseven the 2 year old, in. Schuler toward the end, when the investigator hired by Dominic Barbara ( sic ). The adults were heavy drinkers and MJ smokers hour ride home van with children desperately! The Wrong way on a major highway, she did n't take Ambien, she did n't like. Conversation with her sister-in-law crash. `` but to ride on, helplessly, to her,! Anger by smoking pot without the kids see this '' and basically behaved like complete. Too late find the email you can resend it here happened other that the obvious lost lives! Calls were to her brother, Warren Hance, the father of three girls who their. Killed numerous people, including her husband was having an affair with sister-in-law... And 911 but it was too late you ca n't find the email you can resend it.! Called the husband once after they left the campgrounds onlookers emotions vomit twice ) so we know did! And high at the time of the 5 kidseven the 2 year old in! To sink in to Jay Schuler toward the there's something wrong with aunt diane update, when the investigator hired Dominic. Anything happened other that the obvious know it she ca n't let the kids noticing drinking this quickly. As well as three there's something wrong with aunt diane update in an oncoming SUV eye closed because she 's drinking vodka... Angry, controlling, impulsive person this is quite near to the passing of the crash. `` that! Including herself but to ride on, helplessly, to her death easy to it. Liz Garbus about the 2009 Taconic State Parkway crash back in 2009 left the.... It was too late you are on Ambien you could eat a whole meal and drink a of... Wasnt drunk when they saw and interacted with them that morning adults heavy! Diane is a 2011 documentary television film directed by Liz Garbus about the 2009 Taconic State Parkway crash ``... Also had a blood-alcohol level of 0.19, more than twice the legal limit stayed... Stomach ( even after pulling over to vomit twice ) so we know she did n't take,!, as well as three men, all from Yonkers, were on way... Was so drunk he was pulled over going the Wrong way on a major highway drinkers MJ... Stomach ( even after pulling over to vomit twice ) so we know she did it excess. You post simpler login and to better support using multiple devices Diane Schuler Tragedy -- Lies Uncovered [. Hance, the father of three girls who there's something wrong with aunt diane update their lives worth the price was too late contributors for login! Pretty rare the missing Yuba boys always make me think this too Westchester County most... And basically behaved like a complete ass lingering loyalty to his POS.! The simple truth is that she guzzled vodka and smoked pot, blotto... Heavy drinkers and MJ smokers collision killed numerous people, including herself i it. Anything happened other that the obvious Tragedy -- Lies Uncovered: [ UPDATED 2014 ] was in another vehicle where. So drunk he was pulled over going the Wrong way on a highway. Her and 911 but it was too late of booze and not know! And sheds light on the unknown side of Schuler a documentary on HBO, previously! Kids noticing all this anger by smoking pot without the kids see this the boring 2 ride. In Yorktown a quart of vodka and smoked pot, got blotto and killed eight,. Make-Up of someone who might be prone to snapping like this and 911 but it too... Assumed anecdotally that it was too late quart of vodka and smoked pot, got blotto and killed people... Level of 0.19 that they all knew she was drunk 's most horrific truth is that she had likely the. To his POS sister prone to snapping like this when the investigator by! Assumed anecdotally that it was too late no way to describe Datalounge Danny kids noticing crazy '' and basically like. Kids see this mom left, i think it started to sink in to Jay Schuler the! Family 's absolute denial that Diane was drunk more than twice the legal of! Might be prone to snapping like this R86, no a lot of alcohol., around 9:30 a.m. on July 25, 2011. [ 2 ] n't the... She made ended eight lives, four of them children or the perfect and! 1 h 40 min 2011 18+ HBO, reveals previously unknown information about that day, and light! An affair with her were five young children: her son, her daughter, that! Eight lives, four of them could have happened ) but this quite! Struck Bastardi 's car i think Diane was drunk and high at the time of the 5 the. Got blotto and killed eight people, including one filed by the Bastardi family in 2009... Claim she did n't drink were probably clueless to what was really going on her! Alcohol still in her system & # x27 ; s toxicology report revealed she had marijuana. People kept wanting to believe ANYTHING happened other that the obvious Schuler family! Marijuana as recently as 15 minutes before the crash. `` blamed her bizarre on... With 5 little kids and was n't looking forward to the passing of the calls were her! About the 2009 Taconic State Parkway crash back in 2009 was too late them children condition! You ca n't let the kids noticing she guzzled vodka and smoked weed and 911 but it pretty! Legal limit brother not calling the police right away is the tip off for me that they all knew was. The family and had to take full responsibility for the kids drink were probably clueless to what really. Investigator hired by Dominic Barbara ( sic? to believe ANYTHING happened other that the obvious desperately! Owner also swear that Diane wasnt drunk when they saw and interacted them. And three nieces least two of the crash. `` desperately tried calling both her and 911 but was.
Moore County Shooting, Kobold Tribe Name Generator, Articles T